Tuesday, October 18, 2011

7

 7 years on October 16th.  That’s how long Mr. Mags and I have been married.  Those 7 years have been full of ups and downs that we all experience in marriage, some more than others I suppose.  I am so fortunate to say though, that those downs have really made us so much stronger as a couple.  And as for the ups?  Well, those are that much sweeter! 

I’ll be honest.  I started writing this post listing all of the crappy things that have happened in the past 7 years.  Seriously Mags?! That’s how you want to remember the last 7 years?!  Who wants to read through that?  A laundry list of pooooor me’s.  *shakes head at self*

Moving on.

So, this year Mr. Mags planned a surprise get away for us!  Well, I sort of knew about it because I had to take Monday off and we usually take a trip on our anniversary, but I had NO idea where we were going this year.  In the past we have gone to:

2005: Mendocino, CA
2006: Tahoe, CA
2007: Dinner at home made by yours truly (Hey, we were both unemployed and broke!)
2008: Calistoga, CA
2009: Fancy-schmancy dinner out and presents!
2010: Maui

Let me preface this by saying that Mr. Mags loves the outdoors.  He loves to camp and fly fish and do all kinds of naturey stuff.  I grew up doing this kind of stuff too and I enjoy it...60% of the time, every time.  (Bonus points if you know what movie that’s from!)  Let’s just say my pallet has changed a bit and I enjoy a lovely B & B with a gourmet breakfast<--again with the food.

We left on a Saturday morning and drove up Highway 101 and got to our destination…Garberville.  Ever heard of it?  Me neither.  It’s located in Humboldt County.  I was a little apprehensive as we turned off the freeway and into our hotel across from a park with several bums/hippies camping out.  Hippies* and all though, Garberville is actually a very cute little town.  You’ve got your local grocery store, a darling baby boutique that I of course had to go into, the standard Humboldt County hemp store and lots of organic, natural stores. 

Mr. Mags had every thing planned out.  We drove the “Avenue of the Giants” which was just gorgeous, Redwoods really are majestic. 



We went to the Lost Coast and walked on the beach with B-dog (it was his first beach visit! <insert “awwww’s” here>), we went to Ferndale and did a little shopping-darling town.  But Mr. Mags really scored points when we visited a local cheese factory *stomach growls*.  Seriously, this man knows where my heart lies.  Ever since I was a child I’ve had an odd fascination with how cheese is made.  I love to see the process with the cheese curds (cheese curds!!) and the aging and….*swoon*.  Anyway, the cheese was ah-mazing.  We left with roasted garlic jack, habanero jack, aged white cheddar, the largest bag of cheddar cheese curds we could get and full bellies.  It was a good day. 

In fact the whole weekend was wonderful.  There was lots of uninterrupted “us” time which is always lovely.  So thank you Mr. Mags for planning a wonderful trip that I would have never thought to go on!  You make my life so full and are a constant source of love and entertainment! Xoxo

*Disclaimer:  Don’t get me wrong, I love hippies.  Really I do.  I mean, my dad was a part time hippie while attending Humboldt State and just retired from teaching Environmental Science so I get the whole organic, nature first, minimalist thing.  I just had a hard time differentiating the hippies from the bums.  So yea, I heart hippies.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! Holy crap I love cheese :) yummy!

    Also, that's one of my favorite lines from Anchorman.

    Lan..Lanolin? Lanolin? Like sheep's wool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a great trip...and cheese heaven! Yum!

    ReplyDelete