Thursday, October 13, 2011

Where do you draw the line?

I’ve been reading a lot of new blogs lately.  I’m a total sucker for IRL friends blogs, crafty blogs and food blogs.  I love food.  I live in a part of the country where I am just minutes away from where some of the worlds best restaurants are located (no joke!) and I like to take advantage when I can.  Could be *ehh-hem* why I need to lose some (a lot) weight.  I like to think that I am just appreciating the culinary arts and stimulating the economy!  But I am totally getting off topic here.  And I’ll talk about the weight thing another day when I get the courage.  (See, I told you I love food.)

Back to the new blogs.  I stumbled across a few infertility blogs that are very Christ centered.  (I said before in my first post I might tackle some more religious issues I am going through and this is one of them. If you are not religious, please read on if you will.  I would love your input.)  So far I am enjoying these blogs a lot.  I do find myself skimming over the bible verses though.  I just can’t seem to stomach them lately.  There is a lot of talk about “God’s Plan” and that we all are basically issued one at birth. 

I don’t know what to make of this. 

On one hand, the bitter infertile in me begs to question, “Really?  It’s God’s plan for Mr. Mags and me to go through infertility treatments and 3 miscarriages over a (nearly) 7 year time period?”  or “Really?  It’s God’s plan for my sister to endure a messy divorce at the age of 30 and still be single and feeling very alone now at the age of 35?”  or  “Really?  It’s God’s plan to have Mr. Mags mom pass away from early on-set Alzheimer’s at the age of 63?”  or  “Really?  It’s God’s plan for my cousin J to marry a man and 8 months later find out about his…uhh…extra curricular activities?!?”  I could go on, and on, and on questioning much worse things in people’s lives as well as my own, but you get the point. 

On the other hand I think back to about 2 years ago when I (metaphorically) threw my hands up in the air and said, “It’s all you God!  You’re driving this roller coaster!”  And you know what?  I was happy.  Like, really happy.  I had just gone to a “Christian re-vamp” type of weekend and was feeling so renewed and refreshed and…happy.  I really started to believe God had a “Plan” for me and I just needed to be a devoted Christian and have faith. 

Then things like miscarriages and such happen and I now look at God in a different light.  Or, you know…I’m just not really even looking at Him right now.  I feel like I am whistling looking around trying not to focus on anything because I don’t know what to do or think.  Right now I feel like me saying this is God’s plan would be naive of me.  (Please note that this is just a feeling I find very hard to describe and put into words.  It’s nothing against anyone’s beliefs at all.)  It just sounds like I am passing the buck, so to speak, and not taking responsibility, action, the blame or doing anything about it to change my life.  I mean, theoretically speaking, wouldn’t this, right here *me sitting at my desk working typing a blog entry* be part of the “Plan”?  Is this where I am supposed to be at this point in time in my life?  But wait, I wanted to go get a sugar free mocha today at lunch and I didn’t…was this my decision or was it God’s will?  Ok, ok, that’s a little far fetched, but you get my point, right?  Right?



*Crickets*

Aaaaaaand moving on…

So, I feel like I have experienced both sides of the spectrum: Truly believing and having faith in God’s Plan and I guess a more scientific approach to looking at things…basically thinking “sh*t happens”.  I suppose I could use some guidance, but I don’t know who to turn to.  I haven’t been to church since May 29th.  I remember the date because that was the day I told my parents, in church, that I was pregnant.  I don’t feel like I can talk to the priest of our church because he just happens to be my BFF’s Dad and he and his wife are BFF with my parents.  I have known him since I was 3 and he is basically like a second Dad.  I know the human, not-so-priestly side of him as well and it would be weird. 

So, my question to you dear readers/followers (and I love all 5 of you!), is this:

Where do you draw the line between God’s will and free will?

Is it God’s will that I chose to do IVF or was it my choice?  Do I sit around and wait for a baby to fall into my lap, or do I take action by seeking more fertility treatments?  Would the answer to that question come to me as my own free will, or is that all a part of God’s plan? 

In writing this post, and reading over the big question of God’s will versus free will, I think the answer might depend on who is at the receiving end of the question.  I guess I just want to know what makes peoples convictions so strong.  How do they know they’re right?  If I go talk to a priest, pastor or rabbi, they will probably all have different answers for me.  Then what?? 

*sigh*

I seriously wish there was a phone line to God’s office…with call waiting of course, cause I bet that would be one busy phone. 

5 comments:

  1. This is a tough question that you pose. I tend to think that the bad stuff that happens to you is not "God's plan" but your higher power helps you get through it. I think human beings create their own meaning and purpose behind the things that happen to them. I would not have chosen to have infertility and I don't think that is what God had in mind for me, but he is helping me deal with it and also reach out and connect with others who are going through it. It's just too much stress to take on to think that infertility is God's plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Turtle Mama. It really helped me to write this post and just get it out there. I tend to agree with you in that we create our own path and God helps you through...I just need to remember that. I've been so focused on being pissed off and looking at things in black and white, ie. Plan vs. No Plan. Thanks again, and I'm rooting for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been struggling with the same issue, exactly the same. I have always felt more spiritual(even though I was raised catholic), its such a hard subject. I know my DH would love to go to church every Sunday and become more involved with that community but me, not so much. Sometimes I feel like God is punishing me, other times I feel the opposite. Right now I feel very angry and confused................ Thank you for your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank YOU Kelly for your understanding. I'm sorry you are struggling with the same thing, I wouldn't wish this on anyone! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of those same things going through my head all the time. DH is catholic and I tried for about six months to immerse myself into the church, took the weekly classes every Tuesday night... but I just couldn't wrap my head around it enough to have the Answers. I am too busy searching for proof, too busy wondering why on earth all of these things would be a part of a grand plan. I do think we have a responsibility (that sounds incorrect, but I'm brain-dead right now) to "be fruitful and multiply", so I really do feel deep down that however we get there, we are at least trying to do the right thing.

    I have been searching for a therapist for the last couple of weeks that is specialized in IF-related stuff. I would imagine there has to be some sort of resource out there to help you find someone with christian-based IF therapy of some kind. My DH's mom is catholic and talks to me all the time about resources through the church. Do they have a bulletin board or newspaper where they might advertise that sort of thing?

    ReplyDelete